Cisco has released IOS XE 3.3.0SE on 7th October for 3850 & 5760 Platforms. What’s new in this version ? There are lots of major enhancement & new features. Support for 802.11ac , mDNS (bonjour service) & AVC are the major enhancement as far as I can see.
Here are the main highlights of this new release & you can refer to full feature list in this release note.
1. Support for 802.11ac module—The 802.11ac radio module (for 3602 AP), which is based on the IEEE 802.11ac Wave 1 standard, is available on the Cisco lightweight access points.
The 802.11ac module provides enterprise-class reliability and wired-network-like performance. The 802.11ac module supports three spatial streams and 80 MHz-wide channels for a maximum data rate of 1.3 Gbps. The 802.11ac standard is a 5-GHz-only technology, which is faster and a more scalable version of the 802.11n standard.
2. Application Visibility (AV)—Classifies applications using deep packet inspection techniques with the Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR2) engine and provides application-level visibility into Wi-Fi networks.
3. Nine-member stacks—Up to nine switches can participate in a switch stack. All switches must be running the same feature set. Previous versions allow only upto 6 members in a swtich stack.
4. Service Discovery Gateway feature (mDNS)—Enables multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) to operate across Layer 3 boundaries by filtering, caching, and redistributing services from one Layer 3 domain to another. This feature enhances Bring Your Own Device (BYOD).
5. Wireshark—A packet analyzer program that supports multiple protocols and presents information in a text-based user interface.
There are no new addition to the AP models supported by this image and list is same as the previous version. The new 3700 series AP is not supported in this release.(you require AireOS 7.6 for with legacy controller like 5508, 2504 or WiSM2 to support 3700 AP model).
Here is the software compatibility matrix with this new software code.
It is time to upgrade my 3850 & 5760 & play with this enhanced features.
Update @ 25th Feb 2014
Cisco has released IOS-XE 3.3.1 to support new 3700 series AP which is the first in-built 802.11ac cisco AP. Still that code did not support “Z” regulatory domain which is new for AU & NZ.
Few days back Cisco released IOS-XE 3.3.2 which is supporting this new “Z” regulatory domain & fixed many other bugs in previous releases. here is the release note of this latest code
1. 3850-IOS XE 3.3.2 Release Notes2. 5760-IOS XE 3.3.2 Release Notes
The compatibility matrix attached looks incorrect.
WLC at 7.5 is not supported on PI 2.0.
and PI 2.0 does not have 802.11ac support.
Thanks Shankar for highlighting. I think Cisco needs to put more effort to update their documents with these new product releases…
I am from the wireless TAC team. I did file a doc bug to get this in order.
Oh did not know … thanks for doing that & if they already made it corrected let us know
Just out of curiosity – have you tried to get your 5760 with 3.3 to connect to a 3600 series AP with an AC wave module attached yet?
Just briefly looked at it today and client was only connecting at 72 Mbs
Any thoughts on extra configs necessary?
No, I haven’t got any 11ac module yet to test, Once I tested I will let you know (expecting to get a 3700 AP & 11ac module for 3600 for testing)
I can’t seem to find in the release notes for 3.3.2 where it mentions that the Z regulatory domain Access points are supported. Are you able to direct me to that section?
I have tested in this version (3.3.2) and can confirm it is working. Not clearly documented, but with previous version(3.3.1) it does not work