I have scheduled my CCIE-Wireless written exam (350-050) on 30th August. Initially struggled to decide what is the best approach for this exam & took different initiatives.(set up small home lab with few equipment, watched many wireless video on youtube/cisco support forum, start reading wireless books). Even though all of those helps, It was difficult me to judge whether those thing covered what I suppose to know. At the end I realized the following strategy best suited me in preparing for this exam.
1. Read Quick Reference Guides for Wireless (CCNA, CCNP & CCIE)
Since I did not have any formal certification in Cisco Wireless (CCNA, CCNP) I decided to read these quick reference guides to get the fundamentals of technology covered in those courses (Did not intend to take these exams, but gain the knowledge). Purchased the following 6 online books (cost me less than $200 in total) and printed it. Read them all at least 2 times (except topics not in the CCIEW v2.0 blue print). All of these published in 2012 and therefore its cover latest blueprint topics in each level (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE)
– CCNA (640-722-IUWNE) Quick Reference by Jerome Henry (http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587143089)
– CCNP (642-732 -CUWSS) Quick Reference ,2nd Edition by Jerome Henry (http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587143100)
– CCNP Wireless (642-737 IAUWS) Quick Reference by Jerome Henry (http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587143127)
– CCNP Wireless (642-747 IUWMS) Quick Reference, 2nd Edition by Jerome Henry (http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587143097)
– CCNP Wireless (642-742 IUWVN) Quick Reference by Jerome Henry (http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587143119)
– CCIE Wireless Exam (350-050) Quick Reference (http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0132168170)
2. Focus only on the written exam.
Initially I thought practising config examples would be the best approach even for preparing for Written. Gradually I realized there are lots & lots of configuration and there is no boundary for those sort of configs and easily can get distracted from the topics in written blue print. Then I booked my Written exam & locked the date, then focus on written exam only.
After viewing the Erik Vangrunderbeek, CCIE Wireless Product Manager’s brief & his recommendation how to prepare for written exam I used this approach. (you can view that http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23291077)
3. Practice few sample questions
After all practice sample questions available on the web just to verify my understandings and search on the topics case by case.
I will let you know how is my exam on this Thursday (hope I can clear it first time after these preparations) & help this to someone who is preparing for this.